Thursday, November 24, 2011

Day 24 - Thanksgiving!

I am so stuffed. We ate at noon, it's approaching 5:30, and still, I am so stuffed. Oh man, I love food.

I'm not sure if it's cliche, obligatory, or both to do a list of things I'm thankful for on Thanksgiving, but I have a lot to be thankful for today. Including:

  • I am thankful that when family asks me, "How you liking the new job?" I can honestly tell them that I love it.
  • I am thankful that I have finally learned to request minor changes on Thanksgiving dishes to make them gluten free, rather than eating the normal recipes and suffering the consequences. (Like I'm not gonna be in a food coma already! All I need is the gluten grog to go with it!)
  • I am thankful that my family and my in-laws respond favorably when I ask. For example: my mother in law made the green bean casserole with Progresso cream of mushroom soup, which is gluten free, and put some in a separate dish for me on which she did not add any of the crispy onions, and that she made cookies from a gluten-free cake mix so that I'd be able to have a dessert.
  • I'm thankful that I've learned to listen to my body and avoid the foods I know make it not feel well. Let me tell you, those cheesey potatoes really looked and smelled good, but I've learned potatoes are a pain trigger and there was plenty of other food that I know is not.
  • I am thankful that I've learned to see things this way, rather than looking at the dinner spread and seeing all I "can't" have.
  • I'm thankful for my creativity when it comes to making gluten-free stuffing. I don't follow a recipe, I just toss things in until it smells/tastes right. It must've paid off this time, too; my father in law specifically told me, "Make it exactly like this next year."
  • I'm thankful for the opportunity to nap, even if I wasn't able to get all the way to sleep.
  • I'm thankful that even though the little guy has a cough right now, he's not all-out sick like he has been the previous three Thanksgivings, and I'm thankful that we seem to be keeping the worst of the cough at bay.
  • I'm thankful that I married a man with a pretty good family, giving me two pretty good families to have nice Thanksgiving dinners with, with all their different traditional foods to send me into a food coma.
  • I'm thankful that I've learned not to over-indulge in food just because it's there.
  • I'm thankful for the snuggly cats that are currently keeping my legs warm.
  • I'm thankful for pretty much my whole life right now, because whether it's the way things are working out, the way I've learned to see things, or both, there's not much I can complain about right now.
Happy Thanksgiving, all! Drink plenty of water and go for a walk ;).

No comments: